Web Analytics
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 11 is soon here - but your computer will probably not be able to run it

Simon

Windows 11 was unveiled just a couple of days ago by Microsoft. The new operating system will be a free update for existing Windows 10 users and will come with a refreshed look, some cool new features, as well as security improvements. But your computer will probably not be able to run it.

There is still a lot of confusion regarding what kind of system requirements Windows 11 will have. But it seems clear now that Windows 11 will require a modern CPU and a security feature called TPM - the latter which at worst case isn't available on your computer,  or simply isn't activated on most PC's (and requires you to go into your BIOS settings to activate it).

That means that most computers that are currently running Windows 10 on somewhat reasonable modern hardware, i.e. computers that are older than three years, will be unable to install Windows 11. Or they will be able to install an unsupported version of the new operating system. Again, it's all pretty confusing right now and Microsoft haven't given a proper explanation yet.

In fact, many of Microsoft's own computers in their Surface line of professional and premium computers won't be able to run Windows 11 because of these system requirements.

Right now it feels like Windows 11 will be much worse than Windows Vista. If you remember, Windows Vista failed because people didn't have proper hardware for it. But Windows 11 won't even run on proper hardware that's just a couple of years old. We're in the middle of a global chip shortage with increasing prices of computer parts and hardware. We also face an environmental crisis that is increasingly worsening that require us all to play an active part in reducing our consumption and resource usage. How can Microsoft then even consider implementing new requirements that will force people to replace their existing hardware that could have been working just fine for many more years?

• Simon changed the title to Windows 11 is soon here - but your computer will probably not be able to run it
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To tell you the truth, I didn't really have any problems with Windows 8. I enjoyed using it with my Surface. ^_^

But yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how people are reacting to Windows 11. But I don't think the launch will go as smooth as Windows 10. In fact, I haven't seen or experienced the same excitement for Windows 11 as with previous OS versions. The hardware requirements are really not helping to make the new operating system more popular.

Windows 11 will be released next week on October 5, and if you're curious to see if you can upgrade your computer to Windows 11 you should download and run the newly re-released PC Health Check app. While I'll be able to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11, neither my desktop PC nor my Surface Pro will be able to install the new operating system - which is a real bummer. 

I upgraded my Huawei MateBook X Pro to Windows 11, and it seems to work just fine. I had no problems downloading the Windows 11 upgrade tool and the update took about 40 minutes. But I do have this weird glitch with the Windows taskbar and the Huawei PC manager software, see the screenshot below.

image.png.f76bff8dbf1964653b932853ecfc8d23.png

If I close the PC manager software the taskbar goes back to normal again. I'm sure Huawei will fix that in an update soon. 

All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade. It feels like a new and modern skin for Windows 10 though, and some features are still missing (such as the android apps feature) and Microsoft still haven't updated all parts of the UI. And I just can't seem to get used to the new placement of the Windows start button. Luckily, I can switch the placement to the left side. ;) 

I think The Verge was pretty spot-on with their review of Windows 11:

Have you upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

Want to get rid of the Microsoft Teams chat app that's now located on your new taskbar on Windows 11?

image.png.a1cb54fdb108da1057cd91c3e024d326.png

That's easy, just follow these simple steps:

1. Open Settings (or simply right-click the Taskbar and select the Taskbar settings option and go to step 4).
  2. Click on Personalization.
  3. Click the Taskbar page on the right side.
  4. Under the "Taskbar items" section, turn off the Chat button.

Now the Microsoft Teams icon has been removed from your taskbar. But the chat app is still active on your Windows 11 PC. To remove the chat app completely you need to follow these steps:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Apps.
  3. Click the Apps & features page on the right side.
  4. Select the Microsoft Teams app.
  5. Click the three-dotted button next to the app and select the Uninstall button.

And now it's it's finally gone! :)